FastBack™ Technology by Ulterra
Tungsten carbide, diamond, unique alloys, high tensile treated steel. PDC bits are made up of some of the most extreme materials on the planet. However, radical properties often require big trade-offs in design and manufacturing that affect performance.
Ulterra decided to change the game, and set themselves the challenge of creating a PDC platform that was superior to both traditional matrix and steel-bodied PDC bits. Instead of limiting PDC bits by the weakness of the materials, FastBack aligns their strengths with each part of the construction enhancing the others.
It’s not just the features you can see, it’s the manufacturing processes, quality standards, and material properties that make a FastBack bit the best in the industry.
FastBack combines materials to bring you the toughest and most erosion resistant bit possible.
- Built in toughness – structural steel body material is up to 4x stronger than conventional blades.
- Maximum erosion resistance – super-hard surfacing materials are selectively placed to deliver better erosion resistant properties.
Get these FastBack Advantages
- Superior materials provide increased strength and toughness with erosion and abrasion resistance.
- Focuses energy into the sharp, diamond, cutter edge to drill more efficiently.
- Wide-open blade structure provides optimal hydraulics.
- Quality focused design and manufacturing process ensures industry-leading reliability.
- Materials optimally used to deliver performance.
The FastBack Design
Gets the blade out of the way.
Because FastBack bits utilize superior materials and engineering principles, we can design the bit in a way that focuses more of the drilling energy on the PDC cutters themselves. The most obvious visual effect of this is the tall, thin, sculpted blades of
a FastBack bit, a feature that is only possible through the use of the most advanced materials technology in the business. Traditional PDC blade geometry uses wide blades that engage with the formation at high ROP and high WOB, leading the ROP to founder. With FastBack, we get the blade out of the way and bury the cutters deep into the formation.
Traditional PDC blade geometry uses wide blades that engage with the formation at high ROP and high WOB, leading the ROP to founder. With FastBack we get the blade out of the way and bury the cutters deep into the formation.
- Mechanically supports the PDC cutters in a minimalist fashion.
- All energy focused on sharp, diamond-cutting surfaces.
- No energy wasted pushing flat blade surfaces into the formation.
Focused Drilling Energy
Today’s drilling environment is focused on higher parameters and increased efficiency by eliminating factors that get in the way of increased performance. FastBack has the ability to drill even faster in the higher WOB ranges, using world-leading materials and engineering technology Ulterra has designed a drill bit that has the ability to extend the limit of performance. In addition the faster we drill, the more cuttings need to be evacuated from the bit face, if not then performance starts to founder from cuttings build up. Since FastBack technology allows thinner blades with a higher blade standoff, the open face volume of the bit is much higher allowing for greater hydraulic efficiency and better evacuation of cuttings.
FastBack Article Bank
See all of our FastBack bit articles including featured write-ups, technology updates, case studies and more.